Anyone who expects Kasey Kahne to fully retire from racing in the wake of dehydration issues shouldn’t hold their breath, the 38-year-old said Wednesday.
“People want to know why I just don’t retire and sit out the rest of the season,” he began in a statement on social media Wednesday. “The answer is simple. I love racing. I’ve been racing most of my life and I’m not ready to give it up.”
Kahne, who announced in August he will stop racing full-time to focus on his son and his sprint car teams, went to the Darlington infield care center after the 500-mile Labor Day weekend race with symptoms of dehydration. He was ruled out of the Brickyard 400 on doctors’ recommendations and will miss the next three races at Las Vegas, Richmond and Charlotte. Regan Smith will drive the Leavine Family Racing No. 95 Chevy.
In a teleconference last week, Kahne said the problem occurred over periods last year as well and “has been on my mind” as he made the call to retire from full-time Cup Series competition. But while he searches for a solution, Kahne insisted on Wednesday that his racing career is not over – and will continue in some form.
“I’m listening to the advice of my doctors and we are coming up with a plan on when it’s safe for me to return,” he continued. “I want to continue racing in some capacity for many years to come in whatever division that may be. The current steps that I am taking are to find a way for my body to tolerate racing in any environment.
“To those that have supported me through this process, I appreciate each and every one of you.”