Patrick, CGR no longer talking about 500 plans

Patrick, CGR no longer talking about 500 plans

IndyCar

Patrick, CGR no longer talking about 500 plans

By

Chip Ganassi Racing president Steve Lauletta doesn’t see Danica Patrick joining CGR for the Daytona 500 or the Indianapolis 500.

“No, we’re not talking any longer,” Lauletta said during an appearance on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio on Thursday night, when asked if CGR was still in the running to land Patrick for the Indy 500 this coming May. “I think it would have made sense, and we did have conversations, if she wanted to run in both races, the Daytona 500 and the Indianapolis 500. Ultimately, we couldn’t come to a solution that worked for both of us.”

Patrick, who announced she would not run NASCAR full-time going forward, is trying to put together a deal, or deals, to end her motorsports career by running the Feb. 18 Daytona 500 for NASCAR, and then the biggest race in the IndyCar Series.

Last week, Patrick admitted the process is moving along slower than she would have liked to finalize her plans. She remains confident she will be behind the wheel when the green flag falls in both races.

Even if it is not with CGR, Lauletta is just as confident she will be in the mix. The priority now shifts back to the ever-constant goal for Ganassi.

“We’re going to stay focused on the task at hand … which is getting the [Nos.] 1 and the 42 in Cup and the [No.] 42 in Xfinity into Victory Lane as much as we can with the hopes of winning a couple of championships,” Lauletta said.

“And the same thing on our IndyCar program. We’ve got cars that were testing yesterday in Sebring, and we’re going to stay focused on that rather than put another temporary effort together and not doing it up to the standards that we would want to. So, I don’t think you’ll see that [Patrick] happening with us in 2018.”

More RACER
Home