
Kym Illman/Getty Images
Sainz signs multi-year contract extension with Williams
Carlos Sainz has committed his future to Williams by signing a new multi-year contract with the team.
Following confirmation of Alex Albon’s new deal on Tuesday, Sainz ensures it will be an unchanged line-up for Williams in 2027. The Spaniard joined from Ferrari in 2025 and scored two podiums with Williams towards the end of last season, but a tougher start to this year leaves him with just six points to his name heading into this weekend's Dutch GP.
“I’m thrilled to announce my continued journey with the Atlassian Williams F1 Team family!” Sainz said. “I truly believe in the people that form this team, both at the factory and at the racetracks, and the investments and hard work that are happening in the background.
“We have what it takes to turn this around together. I’m as committed as I was on day one to helping get Williams back to where it belongs, and I look forward to creating more memories with the team.”
Despite a poor season so far, team principal James Vowles says securing the commitment of both drivers stands Williams in good stead for the future.
“From the moment he joined, Carlos’ talent behind the steering wheel and dedication back at the factory have been extremely valuable for this project - working day in, day out with his engineers to find every millisecond,” Vowles said. “He is a leader of this team, and I’m thrilled that he can see what’s possible as we continue to rebuild it.
“It’s not just his racecraft and speed that stand out, but the work he does behind the scenes in the pursuit of high performance. Carlos shares the belief and ambition we have at Atlassian Williams F1 Team and is pushing every day to deliver it.
“Along with Alex, I truly believe we have one of the strongest line-ups on the grid, and a team capable of fighting for every ounce of performance together.”
Chris Medland
While studying Sports Journalism at the University of Central Lancashire, Chris managed to talk his way into working at the British Grand Prix in 2008 and was retained for three years before joining ESPN F1 as Assistant Editor. After three further years at ESPN, a spell as F1 Editor at Crash Media Group was followed by the major task of launching F1i.com’s English-language website and running it as Editor. Present at every race since the start of 2014, he has continued building his freelance portfolio, working with international titles. As well as writing for RACER, his broadcast work includes television appearances on F1 TV and as a presenter and reporter on North America's live radio coverage on SiriusXM.
Read Chris Medland's articles
Latest News
Comments
Comments are disabled until you accept Social Networking Cookies. Update cookie preferences
If the dialog doesn't appear, ad-blockers are often the cause; try disabling yours or see our Social Features Support.


.jpg?environment=live)


