
Mark Sutton/Getty Images
Komatsu, Ocon blast 'bull****' reports about the pair falling out
Ayao Komatsu and Esteban Ocon have both branded rumors the pair had an argument after the Miami Grand Prix as “f*****g bull****”, following speculation over the Frenchman’s future at Haas.
Ocon has struggled to match teammate Ollie Bearman on a consistent basis since joining Haas last year, leading to Komatsu saying “we need more this year” ahead of the 2026 season. Following claims from a Brazilian media outlet – translated into Japanese – that Ocon could be replaced this season and that there had been a falling-out in Miami, team principal Komatsu strongly criticized the reporting and denied such a situation.
“I don't know where the story came from,” Komatsu said. “No idea. So, I don't know if this Brazilian journalist was quoted, right? But, I have no idea. No foundation whatsoever. Absolutely bull****. So, if somebody wants to write that kind of bull****, feel free, but f*****g hell, is that journalism? I have no idea.
“It's terrible. What are they trying to achieve? It's crazy. No foundation whatsoever.
“I spoke to him this morning, but for me there's nothing to defend from our side whatsoever. It's incredible. Part of it is that apparently I had some issue with Esteban in Miami. Where's that come from? I didn't even have a single argument with Esteban in Miami.
“It's just amazing how completely this bullshit gets smoked up. And then, because nobody checks the source, then everybody just lies on top of it, how is that journalism? It's just f*****g bull**** gossip.”
Komatsu also said that dealing with the fallout from the story was “a complete waste of time” for him and Ocon, after the Frenchman also addressed the topic earlier on Thursday.
“Esteban gets worried, the manager gets worried, but Esteban knows that we haven't had any argument in Miami, at least that specific thing. This morning we were just smiling and talking about ‘what the f*** is that about? So I said I'm going to completely clarify this to everyone, because it's absolute utter s**te. Total bull****. It's just something we don't need.
“And then I think it gets written in Japanese, right? Somebody sent it to me, this Japanese article about this Brazilian journalist was quoted. But I haven't actually read what this Brazilian journalist wrote. So Japanese translation, how accurate is it? I have no idea. And also lots of Japanese sites, they really want to create s*** about I'd like to take Yuki or something. I've got zero foundation, so I don't take any notice.
“But then some French journalist picks it up, it's like f*****g hell. If you're a French journalist, what are you trying to do to your country's driver by picking up stories like that, trying to get some traction? Are you trying to put your French driver down? It's like, what is the purpose? It's just bull****.
“When I was a kid, I don't know if some of you know, I wanted to be a journalist, I wanted to be an investigative journalist. So when I read things, it's like f*****g hell. Are you not embarrassed about what you're writing?
“And then by writing bull**** like this with no foundation, you lose credibility completely. Any media that runs that kind of bull**** story loses credibility, in my mind, anyway. It's not even like twisting my word. There's zero facts, nothing to do with what I said, because I didn't say any of that. It's incredible.”
Ocon himself was similarly angered by the report, but says it gained so much traction it was impossible for him to ignore.
“Honestly, it's complete bull**** to be honest,” Ocon said. “It's unbelievable. We were just talking with Ayao just now. The article I saw was calling him Ryo Komatsu, which is quite funny. And they were even saying that we had a massive dispute in Miami, and this is complete nonsense. Honestly, it's all fabricated, complete bull****.
“I came to this team for the reason that I know Ayao for so long. I've got a great relationship with him. That's always been the case, and there's nothing like what people have been saying going on. It's completely not true.
“I'm fully focused on what I have to do, the job I have to do with the team. I'm fully on board with the team for the whole year. I've got a contract with the team … but honestly, it's crazy how things have escalated. And honestly, it's been like ... I mean, I try not to pay attention too much, but when it gets so big, it's almost like bullying in a way.”
Chris Medland
While studying Sports Journalism at the University of Central Lancashire, Chris managed to talk his way into working at the British Grand Prix in 2008 and was retained for three years before joining ESPN F1 as Assistant Editor. After three further years at ESPN, a spell as F1 Editor at Crash Media Group was followed by the major task of launching F1i.com’s English-language website and running it as Editor. Present at every race since the start of 2014, he has continued building his freelance portfolio, working with international titles. As well as writing for RACER, his broadcast work includes television appearances on F1 TV and as a presenter and reporter on North America's live radio coverage on SiriusXM.
Read Chris Medland's articles
Comments
Comments are disabled until you accept Social Networking Cookies. Update cookie preferences
If the dialog doesn't appear, ad-blockers are often the cause; try disabling yours or see our Social Features Support.




