Jack Roush confirmed Wednesday that Trevor Bayne will not return to the No. 6 Roush Fenway Racing Ford in 2019.
“We’re making a search,” Roush said on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio when asked what the team’s plans were for Bayne and the car. “We’re in negotiations with drivers right now that would drive the 6 car next year. I think the decision’s been made. I don’t want to be breaking the story here, but I think the decision’s been made and it’s been announced that Trevor is not going to be in the car next year.
“Who it’s gonna be, who we’re talking to and how close we are in those negotiations, I’m not at privilege to say, not inclined to say based on the fact that we are negotiating.”
Roush did not indicate who would fill the seat, but asked if he preferred a veteran or a young talent, Roush responded, “I want a driver that can be fast. Be fast and win.”
Bayne has split seat time in the seat with Matt Kenseth, who returned to the team part-time at Roush’s insistence starting at Kansas in May. In 16 races, the 27-year-old has averaged a 21.0 starting spot and 24.4 average finish, with a season-best finish of 11th in the Aug. 18 Bristol race. Since taking over the No. 6 Ford full-time in 2015 season, Bayne earned four top-fives and 13 top-10s in three full seasons.
Kenseth’s best finish this year is 12th at the Brickyard 400. He said in late August that no decisions had been made by him or Roush about what happens in 2019.