Advertisement
Hildebrand cleared to return at Phoenix
By alley - Apr 25, 2017, 4:15 PM ET

Hildebrand cleared to return at Phoenix

JR Hildebrand will return to the cockpit of the No.21 Ed Carpenter Racing entry for this weekend's IndyCar race at Phoenix after being sidelined with a broken hand.

Hildebrand was forced to miss last weekend's Barber race after breaking a bone in his left hand in a last-lap crash at Long Beach earlier this month. He underwent surgery on April 11, and the team confirmed on Tuesday that the 29-year-old has been given the all-clear to make his comeback.

"It's been a tricky couple of weeks working through this injury," said Hildebrand. "I'm certainly anxious to get back in the car! I feel like I'm far enough along to be able to go for it this weekend in Phoenix. I know we've got a good program; I want to be able to come through for the team at an event where we should be strong. Everyone has been super-helpful and I appreciate the hard work that everyone has put in to be able to get me back in."

Zach Veach was called up to make his IndyCar debut as Hildebrand's understudy in Alabama, qualifying and finishing 19th.

Meanwhile, this weekend will also feature a driver change in ECR's No.20 entry, with owner-driver Ed Carpenter to make his first appearance of the year.

"I am super excited to get back to Phoenix and start my driving season," said Carpenter. "We have had a several of tests since my last race in Pocono, but it will be good to get to get back to a race weekend as a driver. We had a great open test at Phoenix in February, and feel very confident heading into this weekend."

Comments

Comments are disabled until you accept Social Networking Cookies. Update cookie preferences

If the dialog doesn't appear, ad-blockers are often the cause; try disabling yours or see our Social Features Support.