The rules package run in the Monster Energy All-Star Race last month will not be used again in the Cup Series this season.
“Everyone is aligned on doing what’s best for the fans,” executive vice president and chief racing development officer Steve O’Donnell told NASCAR.com on Thursday. “As we went through that process of discussing (the drafting package) following the All-Star Race, we all realized we have something that could work. We had a lot of detailed conversations, but in the end, we all felt like the best thing to do was to put some additional effort into some potential tweaks and focus on 2019 versus a race or two this season.”
Discussions will continue within the industry about using the package in 2019. The package includes restrictor plates, front aero ducts, a higher spoiler and the 2014-style splitter.
To create tighter racing, the package was initially rolled out to high praise last year in the Xfinity Series at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The series also used the package this year at Pocono and Michigan and will also use it again in September at Indianapolis.
Following the All-Star Race, talk around the Cup Series garage seemed split on whether the package should be used again this year. Kentucky and Michigan were among the tracks mentioned as tracks where it should be used.
In the All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway, there were 12 passes for the lead after only three a year ago.
On June 2, O’Donnell said there had been discussions on possibly using the package in “one or two, possibly three” races this year.
“We’re really happy with the racing we have on the track,” O’Donnell told NASCAR.com on Thursday. “We believe that competition is closer than ever right now. Improving upon that is something that we always work to do, but that takes time. It takes a lot of collaboration in the industry.”