Helio Castroneves’ afternoon at the Speedway ended earlier than he’d hoped on Sunday, but according to Team Penske president Tim Cindric, the Brazilian will have an opportunity for redemption next year.
Castroneves moved across from Penske’s full-time IndyCar program at the end of last year to join its Acura DPi team in IMSA’s WeatherTech championship, meaning that the month of May was his only scheduled IndyCar appearance for the year.
He was running strongly in fifth when he spun into the wall at Turn 4 on Lap 147 (pictured above), whereupon he used a TV interview to plead his case for another run in the car at the Brickyard next year. Cindric said that he’ll get his wish.
“He’s going to be back,” Cindric said. “He will be here next year in one of our cars. That guy was sitting here this morning before I walked in, sitting in his fire suit next to his engineer, ready to go, at about 6:30 this morning.
“He’s been in his yellow suit… I don’t think I’ve seen him out of his yellow suite since we got here this month. He’s ready to go all the time.”