Three-time NHRA Top Fuel champion Larry Dixon says the actions involving his new two-seat dragster that led to his suspension by the NHRA were an honest mistake on his part.
The sanctioning body announced Monday that Dixon – who currently competes in the NHRA’s Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, although he is still hoping to bring his family-run team back into the Mello Yello Series if sufficient sponsorship can be found – had been suspended indefinitely “for violating NHRA Rules, particularly Section 1.3.1 Participant Conduct and 1.6.3 Chassis Inspection of the 2017 NHRA Rulebook” in his launch of the car at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas (pictured). Specifically, it noted that, “NHRA Tech Department discovered the use of a NHRA chassis tag on an unauthorized and unapproved two seat dragster. Any further incidents could result in further action.”
Dixon told CompetitionPlus.com that the use of the identification tag was an oversight and he had not meant to represent that the NHRA had endorsed his 2-seater.
“I know the sticker was on there, but I didn’t know it was breaking any rule to have it on there and if I did it would have been off in a heartbeat,” Dixon explained. “It was a two-year-old expired sticker, and so I didn’t really think anything more than that other than it was an expired sticker.
“It’s an oversight on my part, and I’m going to plead ignorance, and I’m really, really, really, really sorry that this happened,” Dixon said. “If I would have known this was going to happen I would have never ever let this happen.”
Dixon, who has the option of appealing the suspension, emphasized that he has no animosity toward the NHRA over its decision.
“Initially I was crushed, and now I’m embarrassed because I would never have put myself or them in this position to do that because that’s not who I am,” he added.
Read the full CompetitionPlus.com interview with Dixon here.