Graff bests G-Drive to take Spa ELMS win

Graff bests G-Drive to take Spa ELMS win

European Le Mans Series

Graff bests G-Drive to take Spa ELMS win


An exciting 4-hour encounter on the Spa-Francorchamps circuit saw plenty of race action, with incidents causing two Safety Car periods and three full-course yellows. At the end of it all it was the No. 40 Graff ORECA-Gibson of Gustavo Yacaman, James Allen and Richard Bradley which secured the team’s first LMP2 win in the European Le Mans Series.

Bradley took the checkered flag just 0.6 seconds ahead of the No. 22 G-Drive Racing ORECA of Ryo Hirakawa after the British driver had to serve a drive-through penalty with one minute remaining. He emerged from the pitlane just ahead of the Japanese driver and held on to win at the end of the lap.

The No. 9 AT Racing Ligier-Nissan took a debut LMP3 win for the team, with Alexander Talkanitsa Senior and Junior joining an exclusive club of winning in two different ELMS classes after their win in the LMGTE class in Imola in 2015. Father and son were joined on the Spa podium by their Danish teammate Mikkel Jensen.

The LMGTE class was won by the No. 51 Spirit of Race Ferrari, a debut victory for the all Italian line up of Giorgio Roda, Rino Mastronardi and Andrea Bertolini after an epic battle throughout the LMGTE field.

LMP2: G-Drive extends championship lead

Leo Roussel in the No. 22 G-Drive Racing took the inside line into the first corner to move ahead of Henrik Hedman in the No. 21 Dragonspeed ORECA which had started on pole position. However Roussel ran wide on the exit which allowed the No. 32 United Autosports Ligier of Hugo de Sadeleer to move into the lead, with the No. 39 Graff ORECA of Jonathan Hirschi also moving ahead the G-Drive ORECA. Roussel fought back and moved back into second place at Les Combes on lap two, quickly closing up behind the leading Ligier.

Hirschi headed to the pits as Timothe Buret in the No. 23 Panis Barthez Competition Ligier moved up to join the battle for the lead. The first full-course yellow was declared to recover some bodywork at T4 and Roussel dived into the pits for a strategic fuel stop, dropping the French driver back to 4th as the race went green.

Gustavo Yacaman in the no40 Graff ORECA had made progress up the field and was in 3rd place challenging Buret for second as the race approached the end of the first hour.

The No. 25 Algarve Pro Racing Ligier of Andrea Roda went off the track at Turn 11, spinning across the run-off area at speed and clipping the tire barrier, flipping the car onto its roof. Roda emerged unscathed but the Safety Car was deployed for nearly 20 minutes to allow the barrier to repaired and car moved to a safe place. Almost all of the teams took advantage to head to the pits for driver change, tires and fuel.

At the restart it was Buret in the lead of the race from Roussel, with Will Owen in third now at the wheel of the No. 32 Ligier, just ahead of Yacaman’s Graff ORECA.

A second Safety Car period was declared just six minutes after the restart when the No. 5 By Speed Factory Ligier and the No. 77 Proton Competition Porsche were stranded after a collision at Turn 12. The race restarted 22 minutes later with the No. 32 United Autosports Ligier now in front of the no23 Panis Barthez Competition Ligier of Timothe Buret, with the No. 40 Graff ORECA of James Allen closing rapidly on Buret. Allen passed Buret and then got by Owen for the lead of the race.

A second full-course yellow into the third hour to recover the stranded no11 Ligier from the inside of Turn 1. Which was quickly followed by a second FCY when the No. 19 M Racing-YMR Norma went off at the top of Raidillon. The No. 23 Ligier headed to the pits but a longer than planned stop dropped the car out of contention. The No. 22 ORECA also came in for Memo Rojas to hand over to Ryo Hirakawa for the final 90 minutes of the race.

The No. 27 SMP Racing Dallara had been making steady progress with Egor Orudzhev staying in the car for first three hours of the race. By the time the Russian handed the car to Matevos Isaakyan, they were running in the top three.

In the final hour the final pit stops were going to decide who would be standing on the top step of the podium. With 30 minutes remaining the No. 32 United Autsoports Ligier of Filipe Albuquerque headed in for his final stop allowing Richard Bradley in the No. 40 Graff ORECA to take the lead ahead of the No. 27 SMP Racing Dallara and the no22 G-Drive Racing ORECA. With 22 minutes on the clock the No. 22 ORECA was given a drive-through penalty for not respecting the safety car procedure, which Hirakawa served just as Bradley and Isaakyan pitted for their final stops.

Hirakawa was now in second, over 20 seconds behind Bradley’s ORECA when the British driver was served with a drive-through penalty for exceeding the track limits when he overtook the No. 27 SMP Racing Dallara earlier in the race. Bradley headed down the pitlane on the penultimate lap and emerged just in front of the No. 22 ORECA. Hirakawa chased Bradley to the checkered flag in an exciting final lap of a dramatic race but the No. 40 ORECA held on to finish less than a second ahead. The No. 27 SMP Racing Dallara finished third, just ahead of Filipe Albuquerque in the No. 32 United Autosports Ligier to keep the American team’s title hopes alive going into the final race in Portugal.

G-Drive Racing are now 18 points ahead of United Autosports in the teams championship while Memo Rojas and Leo Roussel also hold an 18 point advantage over Filipe Albuquerque, Hugo de Sadeleer and Will Owen.

LMP3: AT Racing blitz LMP3 for debut win

On the opening lap of the race the pole position-holding No. 9 AT Racing Ligier of Mikkel Jensen was blocked by several LMP2 cars at the first corner, running wide to avoid any problems and dropping back to 5th on the opening lap. Wayne Boyd in the No. 3 United Autosports Ligier-Nissan took the lead ahead of the No. 16 Panis Barthez Competition Ligier of Theo Bean. The championship-leading No. 2 United Autosports Ligier of Sean Rayhall also had issues on the opening lap and ended up 10th at the end of lap 1.

This set up a fight back by Jensen in the No. 9 Ligier and he quickly moved from fifth to second on lap 2. By lap 8 he was past Boyd to take the lead just as the first full-course yellow was declared. At the restart the gap quickly opened up to 13 seconds. In the meantime, Rayhall was also making progress and was up to fifth in the second hour of the race and closing on the cars ahead of him, with the No. 15 RLR M Sport Ligier of John Farano the first target.

With the two Safety Car periods and two more full-course yellows the order rapidly changed at the front of the field but the No. 9 AT Racing Ligier with Alexander Talkanitsa was holding a healthy 44-second lead over the No. 15 Ligier and the No. 6 360 Racing Ligier. Both the No. 15 and the No. 6 Ligiers dropped back when they were given a 2m20s stop-and-go penalty for overtaking the safety car, allowing the No. 9 Ligier to pull even further ahead.

However there was a sting in the tail for the No. 9 car when Talkanitsa had to come in to serve a stop-and-go penalty for not turning off the engine while the car was being refueled. However the gap was now so large the AT Racing Ligier emerged from the pitlane still nearly two minutes ahead of the nearest LMP3 rival.

John Falb, now at the wheel of the No. 2 United Autosports Ligier, was lying in second place before the final round of pit stops. He emerged behind the No. 7 Duqueine Engineering Norma of David Droux and the American started to catch the French driver as the race entered the final stages. At the checkered flag the No. 9 AT Racing Ligier, with Alexander Talkanitsa Jr. at the wheel, took the team’s debut LMP3 win, two years after its last ELMS victory in the LMGTE class at Imola in May 2015. The No. 7 Ligier was second, with championship leaders Falb and Rayhall in third place.

LMGTE: Ferrari over Aston Martin

The LMGTE category is usually one of the most exciting class to watch and the race at Spa-Francorchamps proved to be no exception.

The race started with the No. 77 Proton Competition Porsche of Joel Camathias getting a good start from pole position with the championship-leading No. 90 TF Sport Aston Martin of Euan Hankey picking up some front end damage in an unseen incident on the opening lap. Hankey was holding off a determined challenge from the No. 55 Spirit of Race Ferrari of Aaron Scott and the No. 99 Beechdean AMR Aston Martin Vantage of Ross Gunn. Hankey was clearly struggling with the handling of his Aston Martin and the No. 55 Ferrari and No. 99 Vantage made their way past on the third lap.

Now it was the turn of Camathias to come under pressure from Scott, who passed the Swiss driver on lap 7 at La Source just before the first full-course yellow. At the restart the Porsche fought back and Aaron Scott was forced to defend allowing Ross Gunn to close up to the dueling pair. Giorgio Roda also joined the party in the No. 51 Ferrari 488 and a four-way battle ensued for the LMGTE lead.

Gunn made a move to overtake at Les Combes on lap 17 but had to back out. The former British GT4 champion learned from his mistake and successfully repeated the move on the next lap to secure second place. He then caught up with the leader and started to challenge the leading Ferrari for the lead. At the end of the first hour the first of the Safety Car periods saw the GTE field head into the pitlane for the first round of stops.

At the restart the No. 99 Aston Martin, now with Darren Turner at the wheel, led the race from the No. 77 Porsche of Christian Ried. Ried’s race came to an end when he was hit from behind by an LMP3 car, bringing out the second Safety Car of the race. The Porsche was recovered to the pits and repaired but it was 21 laps behind the leading GTE car at the end of the race and classified in sixth place.

The lead battle was now between the No. 99 Beechdean Aston Martin and the No. 51 Spirit of Race Ferrari with Rino Mastronardi at the wheel. This battle raged until the next round of pit stops when Andrea Bertolini took over the Ferrari and built up a healthy lead as the No. 99 Aston Martin, now with Andrew Howard at the wheel, falls into the clutches of the No. 66 JMW Motorsport Ferrari of Jody Fannin.

In the final hour the No. 51 Ferrari, now with Giorgio Roda back behind the wheel, built up a one-lap advantage over the No. 66 JMW Motorsport Ferrari, now with Will Stevens in the cockpit. It looked like it was going to be a Ferrari -1-2-3 at the checkered flag but Ross Gunn had other ideas and finished ahead of the No. 55 Spirit of Race Ferrari of Aaron Scott to secure the final podium place.

With the No. 90 TF Sport Vantage being classified fifth, the championship couldn’t be closer with TF Sport holding 87 points and JMW Motorsport with 86 points, with Nicki Thiim, Salih Yoluc and Euan Hankey holding a similar advantage over Jody Fannin and Rob Smith.