Zilisch to drive No. 48 for Hendrick from 2028

Chris Graythen/Getty Images

By Kelly Crandall - Aug 17, 2026, 12:15 PM ET

Zilisch to drive No. 48 for Hendrick from 2028

Connor Zilisch has signed a multiyear agreement with Hendrick Motorsports to be the next driver of the No. 48 Ally Chevrolet.

Zilisch, 20, will replace Alex Bowman beginning with the 2028 NASCAR Cup Series season. Bowman announced last month that he will retire from full-time NASCAR competition after signing a one-year extension with the team.

“Connor is a truly gifted young racer,” team owner Rick Hendrick said. “His talent behind the wheel is exceptional, but I’m even more impressed by the person he is. When someone with that kind of ability and character becomes available, you do everything you can to bring them into your organization. We have tremendous confidence in Connor, and we believe he’s the right driver to build on the legacy of the No. 48 Ally team for many years to come.”

By the time that Zilisch gets into the car, he will have two years of Cup Series experience under his belt. Zilisch is a rookie with Trackhouse Racing this season, driving the No. 88 Chevrolet.

Zilisch was brought to NASCAR by Justin Marks and Trackhouse Racing. The phenom of karting and sports cars quickly established himself in NASCAR stock cars, winning in his O’Reilly Auto Parts Series debut with JR Motorsports at Watkins Glen in 2024. Although he fell short of the championship in 2025, it was a historic season for Zilisch with 10 victories, eight poles, 23 top-10 finishes in 33 starts, and 1,013 laps led.

Zilisch will replace Alex Bowman in Hendrick's fabled No. 48. David Jensen/Getty Images

“This is one of those moments you dream about as a kid,” said Zilisch. “Hendrick Motorsports has always represented the standard in our sport, and being entrusted to help continue that legacy means everything to me. The chance to drive a Chevrolet for Mr. Hendrick, carry the colors of an incredible partner like Ally and compete alongside some of the best drivers and people in racing is what you work so hard for.

“I’m grateful for the confidence they’ve shown in me, and it’s my job to prove they made the right decision.”

Ally will remain the full-season sponsor on the No. 48 car. Zilisch will be the third driver the company has worked with. Ally joined Hendrick Motorsports in 2019 for the final two seasons of Jimmie Johnson’s career. Bowman took over the car following Johnson’s retirement.

“We’ve spent nearly a decade investing in the No. 48’s storied legacy alongside Hendrick Motorsports, and handing the wheel to a driver of Connor’s caliber is such an incredible way to begin another historic chapter,” Andrea Brimmer, the chief marketing and public relations officer for Ally, said. “Connor is an unbelievable talent with the motivation to match, and he understands what it means to represent a brand and a fanbase that care deeply about this car.

“I’m thrilled to welcome him to the Ally Racing family and cannot wait to do great things together on and off the track.”

Kelly Crandall
Kelly Crandall

Kelly has been on the NASCAR beat full-time since 2013, and joined RACER as chief NASCAR writer in 2017. Her work has also appeared in NASCAR.com, the NASCAR Illustrated magazine, and NBC Sports. A corporate communications graduate from Central Penn College, Crandall is a two-time George Cunningham Writer of the Year recipient from the National Motorsports Press Association.

Read Kelly Crandall's articles

Comments

Comments are disabled until you accept Social Networking Cookies. Update cookie preferences

If the dialog doesn't appear, ad-blockers are often the cause; try disabling yours or see our Social Features Support.