Haas intends to appeal Grosjean’s Italian GP disqualification

Image by Andy Hone/LAT

Haas intends to appeal Grosjean’s Italian GP disqualification

Formula 1

Haas intends to appeal Grosjean’s Italian GP disqualification

Haas says it intends to appeal Romain Grosjean’s disqualification from the Italian Grand Prix, with the race result having been made official.

Grosjean’s car was found not to be in conformity with the technical regulations, with Renault successfully protesting that it did not comply with a technical directive issued on July 25. Haas claimed it was unable to meet the FIA’s deadline of the Italian Grand Prix to implement a solution due to its supplier’s timeframes, but the stewards stated another team had been able to make changes within the same period.

Haas had one hour to register its intention to appeal the decision to disqualify Grosjean — who had originally finished sixth at Monza — and has informed the FIA it intends to do so. The team now has 96 hours to lodge its full appeal.

“We do not agree with the Stewards’ decision to penalize our race team and we feel strongly that our sixth-place finish in the Italian Grand Prix should stand,” Haas team principal Guenther Steiner said. “We are appealing the Stewards’ decision.”

Grosjean’s sixth place had originally seen Haas move up to fourth in the constructors’ championship, level on points with Renault but ahead by virtue of having scored a fourth place earlier this season. After disqualification, Haas drops 10 points adrift of the French constructor.

With the FIA publishing the official race result, Esteban Ocon moves up to sixth place ahead of Sergio Perez, Carlos Sainz, Lance Stroll and Sergey Sirotkin, with the Russian scoring his first point in Formula 1.

More RACER
Home