Sebring Hour 5: Cautions breed cautions

Sebring Hour 5: Cautions breed cautions


Sebring Hour 5: Cautions breed cautions


After an extended run of green-flag racing, there were a number of caution periods in the fifth hour of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.

With the temperature climbing to 84 degrees, Pipo Derani led at the end of the hour in the No. 22 Tequila Patron ESM Nissan Onroak DPi, followed by Helio Castroneves in the No. 7 Team Penske Acura ARX-05 (1.233s back) and Filipe Albuquerque in the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Cadillac DPi-V.R.

Patrick Pilet led GTLM in the No. 911 Porsche 911 RSR by 1.612s, passing Oliver Gavin in the No. 4 Corvette C7.R for the position, followed by Scott Dixon in the No. 67 Ford GT.

In GTD, Alvaro Parente led in the No. 86 Acura NSX GT3, followed by Bryan Sellers in the No. 48 Lamborghini Huracan GT3 (.787s behind), Lawson Aschenbach in the No. 93 Acura and Alessio Clemente Picariello in the No. 29 Audi R8 LMS GT3.

The hour began under yellow due to a spectator pop-up tent that landed on the circuit. Two minutes following the restart, the yellow came out again for the stopped car of Alex Brundle. Another yellow came out for the fourth time only eight minutes later at 3 p.m. ET for debris on the front straight.

The cautions – and ensuing restarts – led to a number of problems.

First, Brundle slid off course in Turn 17 in the ninth-place United Autosports Ligier JSP2 prior to the initial restart, attempting to close ground on the wave-by.

On the following restart, John Edwards in the No. 24 Team RLL BMW M8 GTLM had contact with the No. 66 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford GT of Dirk Mueller, leading to extended stops for both cars.

Mike Conway was penalized for an improper pass in the No. 31 Whelen Engineering Cadillac DPi-V.R, and had made his stop just as the fourth caution waved. During the caution, Derani beat Castroneves out of the pits for the lead.

Christina Nielson spun in Turn 17 coming to the next restart, resulting in the No. 58 Wright Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R pointing in the wrong direction. She was able to restart and continue, avoiding the need for another quick caution. The remaining 24 minutes of the fifth hour ran under the green flag.