Zachary Claman DeMelo finally got his IndyCar test in Dale Coyne Racing’s No.19 Honda on Wednesday and was pleased with his performance.
The 19-year-old former Indy Lights race-winner from Montreal had an initial test with the team postponed early this month because of a paperwork complication. Finally in the car and testing at the same time as veteran and four-time series champion Sebastien Bourdais, Claman DeMelo said his main challenge was regaining feel after such a long off-season.
“I think I know where I stand with them and we’ve had some good conversations and there’s definitely opportunity to run with them,” he said. “So hopefully it works out.”
Last year Claman DeMelo won at Road America for Carlin Racing in what is his only win in the underseries in 34 starts across 2016 and 2017. His only IndyCar start came in the 2017 finale at Sonoma Raceway with Rahal Letterman Lanigan.
Claman DeMelo said he had “quite a lot” of laps on Wednesday.
“It was a good morning, got a lot of running in and good afternoon just working on myself and working with the team on the car,” he said. “I think I am very competitive.” He added that he hoped to have a decision from Coyne “in the next couple of weeks.”
“I’m working with some of my sponsors from last year and should know a lot more soon,” he said.
IndyCar veteran Jack Hawksworth is also thought to be a candidate for time in the seat vacated by Ed Jones’ departure for Ganassi.