Keselowski positioning for future team ownership

Keselowski positioning for future team ownership

Camping World Truck

Keselowski positioning for future team ownership

Brad Keselowski said there was more than one reason why he decided to shut down his Camping World Truck Series team at the end of this season.

Keselowski, who has fielded trucks in the series since 2008, addressed the media for the first time since Thursday’s announcement, joking that had he won the lottery the decision might not have been made. But he does not blame the inability to make money as the only factor.

“The biggest thing is I want to be positioned to have the best opportunities possible when I get done being a racecar driver and one of those opportunities is to be a team owner,” Keselowski said.

“For that to have any chance of being successful, it’s going to be critical for me to have all of my ducks in a row specific to having other income-generating businesses. This is the only way I could get the opportunity to do that, so feel like it’s the right decision.”

It was not an overnight decision. Keselowski revealed he spent a few months planning and thinking it through before pulling the plug.

“Making sure that everything was right and the I’s were dotted and the T’s were crossed,” he said.

Going forward, Keselowski is confident he can help about 75 percent of his BKR group find new opportunities. But he admitted he feels bad for the other 25 percent he probably won’t be able to help land somewhere.

“There are a lot of relationships,” Keselowski said about the hardest part of the decision. “Being a business owner it’s more about the people than anything else. You care about them and they give you their all and you want to give them your all.

“In some ways, you feel like you’re letting them down when you’re not able to keep it going, so that’s never any fun.”

As for the team’s assets, Keselowski said he will keep some of them for future opportunities, on which he didn’t elaborate. Other parts and pieces he will liquidate. Keselowski is also going to keep his Statesville, North Carolina race shop.

As for how viable the Truck Series is and what he sees for it going forward, Keselowski took a positive approach.

“The Truck Series has been around a long time. It’s going to be around a lot longer than me, so I’m not so self-centered to think that series is based solely on my team and participation,” he said. “It’ll be around. It’ll be all right.

“I don’t know where the future is going to take me in my life. I know that I’m trying to be positioned to have as many opportunities as possible to kind of control what that might be and this is a necessary step business-wise to have those opportunities. It’s not really the most pleasurable one to undertake. In fact, it really kind of stinks, but it was the right move long-term and I’m hopeful that it works out for the best.”

More RACER
Home