Advertisement
NASCAR: Hendrick wants Earnhardt 'for a long time'
By alley - Jul 17, 2016, 2:00 PM ET

NASCAR: Hendrick wants Earnhardt 'for a long time'

With the news that Dale Earnhardt Jr. is facing another recovery from a concussion, team owner Rick Hendrick says he doesn't believe Earnhardt's current contract, which ends in 2017, will be his last.

"He and I talked about years beyond next year just around Daytona," Hendrick said Sunday at New Hampshire. "If there was something major wrong, I think they would have seen it already. I'm very hopeful and he's very hopeful. I think the doctors want to err on the side of being sure. We want him for a long time."

Related Stories

Alex Bowman, who races part-time for JR Motorsports in the Xfinity Series, is driving the No. 88 Chevy at Loudon.

The

surprise announcement

came Thursday that Earnhardt had not been cleared to drive at New Hampshire after the 41-year-old saw a doctor, suffering from what he thought was a sinus infection or allergies. Earnhardt had endured two wrecks in a three-race stretch from June 19 to July 2.

Hendrick said the team should know by late Tuesday or Wednesday if Earnhardt will be ready to race at Indianapolis.

"Hopefully Dale is going to be back next week and it's not even something we think is going to happen," Hendrick said. "Jeff is a team player and wants to support the organization and I'm sure he'll do whatever he has to do."

"He's running through a bunch of tests and he's going to have some more tests the first of the week," Hendrick said. "He's doing good. He wants to be in the car. The doctors are going to tell him when it's OK for him to be back. I know he's anxious and we want him back as soon as the doctors give clearance."

Hendrick said earlier in the week that he was "proud" of Earnhardt for coming forward and removing himself from the car given his concussion history, which also sidelined him in 2012.

"He's kind of an iron man – he doesn't want to let the team down, he doesn't want to let his fans down," Hendrick said Sunday. "We need him for the long pull. He wants to be in the car. But the best thing the doctors can do is go through all the protocol and do all the tests, and there's a bunch of tests.

"When they say, 'You're good to go' he'll be back."

In yet another big surprise, if Earnhardt can't go, a familiar face will return to the team in his place. Jeff Gordon

will hop in

, although he didn't believe the offer.

"He thought I was kidding at first," Hendrick said. "He was on vacation and I asked him what he was doing and he said, 'I'll be in Indy.' ... I said, 'Bring your driver's uniform just in case.'

"He said, 'Are you kidding?' I said, 'No, I'm serious.'"

Comments

Comments are disabled until you accept Social Networking Cookies. Update cookie preferences

If the dialog doesn't appear, ad-blockers are often the cause; try disabling yours or see our Social Features Support.