Advertisement
F1: Las Vegas plans 'struggling,' says Ecclestone
By alley - May 5, 2016, 12:49 PM ET

F1: Las Vegas plans 'struggling,' says Ecclestone

Above: Jacques Laffite (Ligier JS17-Matra) leads Gilles Villeneuve (Ferrari 126CK) during the 1981 Las Vegas Grand Prix.

A Formula 1 race in Las Vegas is not a safe bet.

A month after hinting that there were talks for a second U.S. race as soon as 2018, F1 chief executive Bernie Eccelstone told ESPN UK that plans to hold an event on the city's famous Strip are shaky.

"We are struggling a little bit now," said Ecclestone. "I want to make sure we are on The Strip, so when people turn their TV on, they immediately know it is Vegas."

Eccelstone told several media outlets earlier this year that Vegas was in play. He told the UK's Daily Mail that organizers of a proposed Las Vegas Grand Prix "have a contract" and were ready to join the calendar, and he

gave a timeline to Autosport

, saying "If [a street race] does happen, then I would think we are two years away from having a race there. Let's hope we do it."

Ecclestone admitted that any plans to hold a second U.S. race in New Jersey were likely finished, telling ESPN "We missed out a little bit with New York, but lots of places are talking about it."

Las Vegas previously hosted two grands prix, with the races in 1981 and '82 (pictured) taking place in the parking lot of the Caesar's Palace casino.

Autosport also reported in April that Formula E is also believed to have been in discussions about a possible Vegas race.

Comments

Comments are disabled until you accept Social Networking Cookies. Update cookie preferences

If the dialog doesn't appear, ad-blockers are often the cause; try disabling yours or see our Social Features Support.