Injured NASCAR racer Kyle Busch indicated in a press conference last month that he was looking to the July Sprint Cup weekend at Daytona as a likely possible return to action, but as he prepares to test his Late Model car as the first step toward a return, speculation has been rife that it could come sooner.
NASCAR Executive Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer Steve O’Donnell said in an interview with SiriusXM NASCAR Radio on Monday that he’d spoken with the Joe Gibbs racing driver, who he said was “making some really good progress” in his recovery from a broken right leg and left foot suffered in the Xfinity Series race at Daytona in February.
“I talked to Kyle last week, and he talked about his plans in terms of getting in his Late Model, seeing how he felt,” O’Donnell said. “The next step for us is really to hear from Joe Gibbs and the organization and let us know officially when Kyle’s coming back. Then from there we’ll have to make a determination.
“It’s great to see Kyle making some really good progress. We need him back in the car. He’s a fan favorite, so we’re looking forward to seeing him back on the track.”
Busch revealed last month that he would test a Late Model car in preparation for his Sprint Cup comeback. Although rumors circulated suggesting that he would race that car at Hickory Motor Speedway this weekend, Busch took to Twitter to deny that.
JGR announced last week that Erik Jones would take over Busch’s No. 18 in place of MWR-bound David Ragan for next week’s Cup race at Kansas. Jones was not confirmed as a starter beyond that race, prompting suggestions Busch could return as soon as Charlotte later this month, if he were to get the go-ahead from his doctors..