Shootouts to be held at each race event, offering NC MX-5 race cars as additional prizing.
As a way of introducing new drivers to the excitement of the $200,000 Spec MX-5 Challenge competition, Spec MX-5 LLC has announced five Spec MX-5 Shootout competitions during 2019. At each shootout a Spec MX-5 v1 race car valued at $25,000 will be up for grabs.
Shootouts will be run together with Spec MX-5 Challenge events and open to drivers with specific skill sets:
- Spec Racing Showdown: Circuit of The Americas, May 4-5 (NASA)
- Master’s Tournament: WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, June 1-2 (SCCA)
- Young Driver Talent Search: Sonoma Raceway, June 15-16 (NASA)
- New Driver Examination: Road America, August 17-18 (SCCA)
- Women Winners: Utah Motorsports Campus, October 5-6 (NASA)
Shootout drivers will run with full arrive & drive services and will run in series-owned Spec MX-5 race cars. Drivers simply need to be licensed, show up and race. The cost per driver for each Shootout is $9000, the same as the per event cost for full season Spec MX-5 Challenge drivers.