Lionel Racing released its list of the top 10 best-selling die-casts from this past season and to the surprise of no one, Dale Earnhardt Jr. tops the list. However, Earnhardt made history in the process.
The No. 88 Axalta Chevrolet that Earnhardt drove at Homestead-Miami Speedway was not only the best-selling die-cast of 2017, but it is now the best-selling car in Lionel Racing’s history. The paint scheme used in Earnhardt’s final race as a full-time Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series driver was a throwback to the Budweiser design from early in his career.
“The demand for this car has been simply astounding,” said Lionel Racing president Howard Hitchcock on the company’s website. “The fan response to this die-cast is a true measure of how much Earnhardt has meant to both casual NASCAR fans and serious die-cast collectors.”
Per Lionel, what contributed to the sales of the die-cast was the “For Race Fans Only” show held on QVC featuring an appearance by Earnhardt. However, Lionel says even without the QVC sales the die-cast still outpaced the previous best seller by more than 10,000 orders. The previous best-seller was also an Earnhardt car, his 2014 Daytona 500 win die-cast.
Here were the top 10 die-cast from 2017:
1. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Axalta/Last Ride Chevrolet
2. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Nationwide Darlington Chevrolet*
3. Dale Earnhardt Nationwide Chevrolet
4. Chase Elliott NAPA Chevrolet
5. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Axalta/Ducks Unlimited Chevrolet
6. Ryan Blaney Motorcraft/Pocono win Ford
7. Kyle Busch M&M’s Caramel/Bristol Win Toyota
8. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Axalta Chevrolet
9. Chase Elliott Hooters Chevrolet
10. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Mountain Dew/Talladega raced version Chevrolet
Lionel Racing became “The Official Die-Cast of NASCAR” in 2010.
*The graphic below erroneously depicts Earnhardt’s 2016 Nationwide Darlington livery.