Standing restarts after safety car periods in Formula 1 will be worth the risk if they improve the show, says Haas team principal Gunther Steiner.
On Friday, all 11 team principals and F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone gathered for a meeting in the Abu Dhabi paddock to discuss the proposal. After discussing the idea, they agreed in principle to introduce the rule for next season.
When asked about the plan, Steiner said: “It spices the show up and that’s a good thing. We all love starts.
“There is a risk, but when there is risk, there can be a reward – some will win, some will lose. If the races are getting more interesting, it’s a good thing for all of us.”
The proposal will now require approval from the Strategy Group and F1 Commission. If successful, it then requires ratification at the World Motor Sport Council, which next meets on Nov. 30 in Vienna.
Earlier this year, changes were agreed to make sure standing starts would take place in wet races from 2017 onward.