Advertisement
INDYCAR: Drivers optimistic about revised Race Control
By alley - Feb 27, 2016, 12:32 PM ET

INDYCAR: Drivers optimistic about revised Race Control

The driver with the most starts in the Verizon IndyCar series likes the fact that two former drivers are part of the

new look of Race Control

.

"I think it helps we have two drivers in there because then you can see from a driver's view, a person that understands about racing, so that's a good thing," said Tony Kanaan of Arie Luyendyk and Max Papis (ABOVE, with Juan Montoya, IMS photo). "They're going to have tough calls to make so hopefully they get it right. I hope they're ready to take a lot of heat because that's what's going to happen to them – it's the nature of the business. But I think it's a good combination."

Last year's stewards consisted of a lawyer, a former team manager and only one ex-driver, Johnny Unser, for much of the season. The new trio has former Ford racing executive Dan Davis, a two-time Indy 500 winner and a CART veteran who also competed in IRL races.

  • Miles promises judicial overhaul

"I like the new format and I think it will be a little more work for them because it's going to be a debate between the three of them," continued Kanaan, who has made 249 consecutive starts and is embarking on his 18th season of IndyCar racing. "When it's one person's job, it's that point of view and that's it. Dario [Franchitti] and I have watched races together and agree to disagree on plenty of things. But we come to a conclusion one way or the other."

Will Power, whose famous two-fingered salute to Race Control at Loudon in 2011 made national headlines, agreed with the 2013 Indy winner.

"I think it's a good combination," said the 2014 IndyCar champion. "I think Mark Miles has put together a great team in the off-season to make things run smoothly and I just see all positives in the direction it's going.

"I think all we ask for, as drivers, is consistency, more black and white and I think this is going to be a good system."

In his Friday press conference, Miles made it clear there would be no more warnings to drivers during an event and an effort to call the penalty on the spot instead of waiting until Tuesday.

"I think you are going to see some changes that are going to be a lot more clear, taking a load off the chief stewards," said Kanaan. "It's going to be more of a black-and-white thing; either you're right or you're wrong. There is no in-between.

"I think a lot of people are not going to like that. But we, as drivers representing the driver's association, that was one of the things we worked on really hard with IndyCar. I think Mark heard us and Jay (Frye) played a big part. We sat down and eliminated a lot of things.

"But it's still up to us to obey the rules. They (stewards) aren't driving the cars."

It's no secret that Papis and Kanaan are good friends, so how would he feel about a call going against him?

"We're bigger people than that and we're here working," Kanaan responded. "We're not going to agree 100 percent of the time. If I do something, he's going to see it one way and I'm going to see it in a different way. But he has the power to decide. And I would not lose a friendship of 25 years because of one race."

Comments

Comments are disabled until you accept Social Networking Cookies. Update cookie preferences

If the dialog doesn't appear, ad-blockers are often the cause; try disabling yours or see our Social Features Support.