Red Bull Olsbergs MSE driver Sebastian Eriksson took the first victory of his Red Bull Global Rallycross career in Sunday’s main event at Daytona International Speedway. Eriksson, who took third place in Saturday’s final, held off Ken Block and Steve Arpin for the victory.
“It’s been a great weekend for us,” said Eriksson, who also took the Red Bull GRC points lead by eight points over Block. “We struggled a little bit yesterday with the setup of the car—we didn’t have the pace to close on the fastest guys, but we solved that for today. I won my heat and my semifinal, and we got away in the start of the final so we could get a little bit of a gap on Ken and the other guys. And I guess I could do my own race and this time, it was enough.”
After taking the Kobalt Tools Joker Lap immediately to start the race, Eriksson took a lead that he would not yield for the duration of the eight-lap final. While Block, Arpin, Scott Speed, and newcomer Jeff Ward traded podium places behind him, the Supercar rookie gave OMSE its first Supercar victory since Patrik Sandell won in Washington DC last June.
In GRC Lites, Austin Cindric rebounded from a DNF on Saturday to complete the OMSE sweep in Sunday’s action. Taking his second victory in three races, Cindric held off a pair of first-time podium finishers in DirtFish Motorsports’ Tanner Whitten and Rhys Millen Racing’s Harry Cheung.
Unofficial results from the Red Bull Global Rallycross Daytona (II) Supercar final are as follows:
1. Sebastian Eriksson, #93 Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST
2. Ken Block, #43 Hoonigan Racing Division Ford Fiesta ST
3. Steve Arpin, #00 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
4. Jeff Ward, #360 Chip Ganassi Racing Ford Fiesta ST
5. Tanner Foust, #34 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
6. Nelson Piquet Jr., #07 SH Racing Rallycross Ford Fiesta ST
7. Austin Dyne, #14 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST
8. Joni Wiman, #31 Red Bull Olsbergs MSE Ford Fiesta ST
9. Scott Speed, #41 Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetle
10. Patrik Sandell, #18 Bryan Herta Rallysport Ford Fiesta ST