Hong Kong racer joins European F3
By alley - Feb 2, 2015, 3:01 AM ET

Hong Kong racer joins European F3

Hong Kong driver Matt Solomon has joined Double R Racing's Formula 3 European Championship team for 2015.

Solomon, who shared a Mercedes SLS GT3 to victory with Mika Hakkinen in an Asian GT round when he was just 17 years old in 2013, makes the move after a program of testing with the team last winter. He moves to Europe following two seasons in Formula Masters China, in which he took runner-up in the rankings last year.

Solomon had a brief taste of European action in 2013, when he qualified and finished in the top 10 in a Formula Renault ALPS one-off with Prema Powerteam at Misano.

"There's going to be a lot to learn but it's a great challenge," said 18-year-old Solomon, who is of Chinese and Australian ancestry. "There are new tracks, a new philosophy and also a new mentality to take with a higher level of racing."

Solomon joins German Nicolas Pohler in the Double R lineup.

Team boss Anthony Hieatt said: "It's a cracking young lineup and while FIA F3 is always unbelievably competitive, Matt has shown some very impressive pace up to now."

 

Originally on Autosport.com

Mazda MX-5 Cup | Round 10 - VIR | Livestream

Comments

Comments are disabled until you accept Social Networking Cookies. Update cookie preferences

If the dialog doesn't appear, ad-blockers are often the cause; try disabling yours or see our Social Features Support.