Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn has admitted Rubens Barrichello is on the team’s shortlist of potential 2014 Formula 1 drivers. She insisted speculation that the Brazilian could return to the F1 fold for this year’s Brazilian Grand Prix was wide of the mark but kept the door open for next season.
Barrichello, 41, has made the most grands prix starts in history at 322. Although he left the sport after losing his Williams seat at the end of the 2011 season, he has insisted previously that F1 is not a closed chapter.
Asked whether Barrichello was under consideration for 2014, Kaltenborn said: “There are a couple of options out there. We know what he [Barrichello] has is experience. He would like to come back, so let’s see.”
Kaltenborn did however rule out speculation that Barrichello could return in time for his home grand prix, which brings this year’s championship to a close on Nov. 24.
Asked if she expected Sauber to retain its current lineup to the end of the year, she said: “Absolutely. I don’t see any possibility there. We have no reason to change our two drivers for that race.”
After dropping out of F1, Barrichello spent a single season in IndyCar before switching to Brazil’s domestic Stock Car V8 series this year.