Larson counts himself fortunate after 'scary' wreck

Image by Rusty Jarrett/LAT

Larson counts himself fortunate after 'scary' wreck


Larson counts himself fortunate after 'scary' wreck


Kyle Larson said his No. 42 Chevrolet “just took off” into the air when he spun to the inside on the Talladega Superspeedway backstretch.

Larson walked away uninjured and was evaluated and released from the infield care center following the spectacular wreck on the white flag lap. When asked to describe the accident, which saw his car flip multiple times, Larson said it had been a long time since that happened to him in any vehicle and he wasn’t sure it was ever going to stop.

“(Or) where I was at in reference to the fence or anything,” Larson said. “So, yeah, it was scary. But thankfully came to a stop tires down. That was wild.”

The accident started when David Ragan got loose in the middle and forced William Byron wide coming off Turn 2. Byron was then hit by Paul Menard and spun across Ragan’s nose into Larson and Jeffrey Earnhardt, who both spun down toward the inside wall.

“Initially I thought I was going to hit the inside wall pretty hard and then right before I got to it I felt it lift and was just hoping it would set down; and then it just started tumbling,” Larson described. “That was probably the longest flip I’ve ever had. I haven’t seen a replay of it. I didn’t know if it would ever stop. I knew I was flipping and was just hoping that I wasn’t going to get any closer to the catch fence. So it was a little bit scary, but thankfully I’m all right.

“Thanks to the fab shop at Chip Ganassi Racing for building safe race cars. Like I said, that was scary. So, I’m just thankful that I’m OK.

“Hat’s off to Chase Elliott. It was a good day for Chevy. We all had a plan to work together and Chevy won both stages plus the end of the race. That was really cool. I thought I would have a shot to win there, but it just didn’t work out. As soon as we left the restart zone we were kind of just in a bad spot. When you’re like that and everybody is four- or five-wide, you know something crazy is going to happen. But, I had a good time today. I just wish we would have been on the right end of it for once this year.”

Ragan and Earnhardt were also evaluated and released from the infield care center. Byron limped his damaged Chevrolet across the finish line.

“I was in the middle there after we took the white flag and I just got loose and wrecked the 24,” said Ragan. “I spun him out across my nose and he collected a few other cars. That last wreck was my fault. I was pretty stupid to wreck like that when you are running 10th or 15th on the last lap. We didn’t have a shot to win. When you get three-wide there is just nowhere to go and everybody was pushing and shoving. My car just jumped sideways and when I corrected it I caught the 24’s left rear and spun him across my nose. That was unfortunate for our team. Our Mustang was fast all day and had a lot of fun out there but just made a stupid mistake there at the end.”