'I feel I've got the ability' to contend for more wins - Bayne

Image by LaBounty/LAT

'I feel I've got the ability' to contend for more wins - Bayne

NASCAR

'I feel I've got the ability' to contend for more wins - Bayne

By

Trevor Bayne said he is “100 percent” healthy as questions and concerns swirl about his NASCAR future after Matt Kenseth was announced as a second driver of the No. 6 Roush Fenway Racing Ford earlier this week.

“I am as fit physically, mentally, spiritually as I have ever been to do my job well,” Bayne said Friday morning at Talladega. “The second part is my desire is still as it has always been since I was five years old to come to the racetrack every weekend and contend for wins, championships and be a driver at the top level in the Cup Series. Nothing in that has changed. I’m still going to pursue that because I feel I’ve got the ability to do that, but right now I don’t have much more to add to that.

“I want to respect your alls time and I know you have a ton of questions after everything that’s happened this week, but if you guys could allow me to come into the garage and talk to my team and work through this weekend, I’d love to have that opportunity. I’m coming here to win Talladega as I planned to do before any of this. So, that’s what I’m going to do.”

Bayne made the statement and then did not field questions from the assembled media.

The 27-year-old will compete in Sunday’s GEICO 500 as well as next weekend’s Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Dover International Speedway. Kenseth gets behind the wheel for the first time at Kansas Speedway on May 12 followed by the All-Star Race at Charlotte.

How the schedule will be split between Bayne and Kenseth beyond the All-Star Race is still to be announced.

Kenseth, the 2003 Cup Series champion, drove for Roush Fenway from 1999 through 2012. In the No. 17 Ford, Kenseth delivered Jack Roush his first Cup Series championship and 24 career wins, including two Daytona 500.

Losing his ride at Joe Gibbs Racing last season, Kenseth said rejoining Roush Fenway was the right deal at the right time. Bayne has been the primary driver of the No. 6 since 2015 and during the announcement, Roush Fenway officials said the deal was made to improve overall company performance.

More RACER
Home