Valentino Rossi believes it will take him “months” to come to terms with how he lost the 2015 MotoGP world championship.
Rossi led the standings from the opening round in Qatar, only to be beaten at the finale by Yamaha teammate Jorge Lorenzo after the penalty for his clash with Marc Marquez in Malaysia left him starting at the back for Valencia. After the race Rossi launched another salvo in his ongoing spat with Marquez by accusing the Spaniard of sitting behind leader Lorenzo and “protecting” his countryman.
Speaking at the end of post-season testing on Wednesday night, Rossi said the hard emotions had solidified as the week progressed.
“Honestly, on Sunday after the race it hurt but it’s a different situation as there is lots of adrenaline,” he told Italian reporters. “On Monday, instead it was tough and yesterday [Tuesday], too, it was quite a struggle.
“Today [Wednesday] it has been a bit better, but it’s something, a situation, that will take months to – not forget it, because you’ll never forget it – but to come to terms with.”
He also further stirred the dispute with Marquez by questioning Honda’s decision last week to call off a press conference at which it had intended to display telemetry from the infamous Sepang collision between Rossi and Marquez.
Honda had said the data provided proof Marquez’s crash had been caused by Rossi kicking his rival’s bike, but abandoned plans to share it after series organizers urged the warring parties to move on.
“I’m curious to see Honda’s telemetry. Oh, they haven’t shown it? Strange!” said Rossi.
“I’d like to figure out how they think they can demonstrate through telemetry that I had kicked him. This is something you should ask them. Poor guys, they wanted to show it but for the good of motorcycle racing they won’t…”