Sebastien Buemi set the pace in the opening day of Formula E testing at Donington ahead of the championship’s second season.
On a day interrupted by a brief afternoon shower, the Renault e.dams driver went to the top with a fastest lap of 1m32.092s; just over 1.0s slower than Buemi’s best time on the secnd-last day of pre-season testing last year.
The day marked the public debut of the season two technology, with eight new manufacturers having joined the series as powertrain suppliers. Of those, neither Andretti nor Trulli completed a lap, although both are expected to run tomorrow.
Elsewhere, Jacques Villeneuve drove his Venturi car in public for the first time, finishing the day 14th-fastest, while series returnees Jean-Eric Vergne and Nick Heidfeld made their first outings with DS Virgin Racing and Mahindra respectively.
FIA Formula E Championship – Donington Park – Pre-season testing (Day 1) – Results:
1. Sebastien Buemi, Renault e.dams, 1:32.095s
2. Lucas di Grassi, ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport, 1:32.158s
3. Nicolas Prost, Renault e.dams, 1:32.286s
4. Sam Bird, DS Virgin Racing, 1:32.523s
5. Salvador Duran, Team Aguri, 1:32.549s
6. Bruno Senna, Mahindra Racing, 1:35.653s
7. Nick Heidfeld, Mahindra Racing, 1:35.700s
8. Jerome D’Ambrosio, Dragon Racing, 1:36.324s
9. Tom Dillmann, Team Aguri, 1:36.329s
10. Stephane Sarrazin, Venturi, 1:36.361s
11. Jean-Eric Vergne, DS Virgin Racing, 1:36.704s
12. Loic Duval, Dragon Racing, 1:37.987s
13. Nelson Piquet Jr, NEXTEV TCR, 1:38.052s
14. Jacques Villeneuve, Venturi, 1:38.176s
15. Jarno Trulli, Trulli, no time set
16. Simona de Silvestro, Andretti, no time set