Robert Kubica plans a back-to-basics approach to next week’s Rally Argentina.
Since his switch to a World Rally Car, last year’s WRC 2 champion has only finished once in five starts and has crashed – often more than once – on every one of those rallies. The 29-year-old former F1 racer has vowed to put that right in South America.
“I will try to change my approach,” said Kubica. “Going back to the way I tackled events when I first began my WRC career. Driving on gravel, I must focus more on survival and getting to finish as opposed to driving as fast as I can.
“There are too many variables and surprises that can often catch out inexperienced drivers. That is why I think a few steps back will do me no harm.”
Kubica admitted his decision to move up to rallying’s highest level in just his second season in the sport was a brave one.
“Most drivers who are experiencing these stages for the first time compete in much less-powerful cars,” he said. “I am driving one of the best cars in the championship alongside the best rally drivers in the world amidst conditions I have never previously experienced. This is the highest level, I need to remember that.
“The things that are happening now are not a nice experience, but at the same time, they are not unusual. I think my winning the WRC 2 category last year with so little experience was much more unusual.
“When I made the decision to go rallying, I knew what I was getting into and I cannot allow the past few months to write off my goals and ambitions.”
Rally Argentina, which starts from Villa Carlos Paz on May 8, is the fifth event Kubica starts in a World Rally Car with no previous experience.
“Argentina will be another new and difficult event for me, but I am hoping that it will be better than the previous rallies,” he added. “Our goal stays the same: we want to get to the finish.”