MotoGP: Marquez ruled out of rest of pre-season testing

MotoGP: Marquez ruled out of rest of pre-season testing

Bikes

MotoGP: Marquez ruled out of rest of pre-season testing

MotoGP world champion Marc Marquez will miss the rest of 2014 pre-season testing due to the broken leg he sustained in training last week.

Marquez and his Honda team had initially hoped that he would only have to sit out this week’s Sepang sessions and could return to the track in Phillip Island testing early in March. But after a further medical check with MotoGP surgeon Dr. Xavier Mir on Wednesday, Marquez has been told he will be sidelined until the season-opening Qatar Grand Prix weekend on March 20-23.

“I’m obviously disappointed that I’m not in Sepang at the moment and to miss Phillip Island is also unfortunate, but we believe it is the best decision,” said Marquez.

“After my meeting today with Dr Mir, although he was happy with the general situation of my leg after only seven days since the accident, he advised against taking unnecessary risk. So I will take time to rest and get myself as fit as possible to return to Qatar for the first race in the best shape possible.”

Marquez was quickest on all three days of the first winter test at Sepang earlier this month before sustaining the injury, which occurred when he fell while riding a dirt bike in Lleida in Spain.

Honda team boss Livio Suppo said this week that he was confident Marquez could overcome the disadvantage of missing most of testing and did not want him to rush his recovery.

Originally on Autosport.com

More RACER
Home