Brad Keselowski remains optimistic about his NASCAR Sprint Cup title defense despite dropping out of the Chase cut-off after his Kentucky Speedway crash.
The reigning champion has yet to win in 2013. Last weekend his Penske Ford was tapped into a spin by Kurt Busch, and then collected at high speed by Greg Biffle. Keselowski was unhurt and Penske rebuilt the car so he could be classified 33rd.
The incident caused him to fall to 13th in the championship with nine races left before the Chase field is set. He is 14 points behind 10th-placed Jamie McMurray, and ineligible for a wildcard Chase spot at present due to his lack of 2013 wins.
Keselowski led the standings after round four at Bristol, having started the year with a streak of top-four finishes. Since then he has only once finished in the top five. But he remains confident that all he needs is a change of luck as his package is fast enough to win.
“We are just going to go do our thing,” said Keselowski. “We are just on a streak of bad luck. It will turn around and when it does we will be in victory lane and be all right. We just need to start finishing where we deserve to be.”
Keselowski put Sunday’s crash down to Busch’s over-aggression. The Furniture Row driver later apologized.
“We were trying to get patient because it looked like we would get the whole race in before rain and there was no reason to drive like an animal,” said Keselowski. “Apparently I am the only one that got that memo.
“I know he didn’t intentionally wreck me but it is just one of those things. A chain of events with the way the cars drive and the track has that really bad bump down there and we all know it. There is no reason to go down there but he still did.”