Lorenzo to attempt Laguna comeback

Lorenzo to attempt Laguna comeback

Bikes

Lorenzo to attempt Laguna comeback

By

Jorge Lorenzo will attempt to compete the Laguna Seca MotoGP round this weekend following final medical checks on his injured shoulder.

The Spaniard’s participation had been in doubt following a heavy practice highside at the Sachsenring, which bent a titanium plate on his already broken collarbone and led to him withdrawing from the German Grand Prix. The next day, Lorenzo suggested on Twitter that he would not attempt to race again until Indianapolis in mid-August. Yamaha confirmed on Wednesday however that he will travel to Monterey and attempt to compete.

Lorenzo said his recovery had been better than expected, influencing his reversal.

“Finally we have decided to go to Laguna Seca,” he said. “Following the final medical check and after speaking with Dr. Rodriguez we are going to try.

“At the beginning, I seriously thought that it might have been convenient to take the necessary time to recover and be back at Indy but in the last two days I have felt much better so now I want to be there, although I will try to not take too many risks. I want to be there also for the fans, for the championship but especially for my team, that is waiting for me.

“I want to thank everybody for all the support I have received so far and I want to say thank you to the doctors who took care of me after the crash at Sachsenring, both at the Clinica Mobile and at the Hospital General de Catalunya, especially Doctors Rodriguez and Cots.”

Despite riding with a broken collarbone at Assen, and then sitting out the Sachsenring race, Lorenzo remains just 11 points off new championship leader Marc Marquez. He claimed pole position at Laguna last year, but was beaten to victory by then-Honda factory rider Casey Stoner. His only win at the circuit came in 2010.

More RACER