- Category: GRC
- Published on Monday, 08 July 2013 02:07
- Written by Brad Koriya
- Hits: 930
With the Global Rallycross Championship expanding to a true global presence in 2013, Sylvania Automotive Lighting has provided extra incentive for drivers competing in domestic GRC events with the inception of the $20,000 battle for the Sylvania SilverStar zXe Cup.
The Sylvania zXe Cup will go to the driver that earns the most championship points in four of the series' U.S.-based events this season, starting with the July 11 race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway and wrapping up at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Sept. 22.
"The GRC featured great racing last year and we expect that the addition of the Sylvania zXe Cup, and the $20,000 prize that goes with it, will raise the competition level even higher in 2013," said Joe Verbanic, marketing manager, Sylvania Automotive Lighting. "We are eagerly anticipating seeing some of the top rally talent in the world going wheel-to-wheel in the battle for the prize!"
The Global Rallycross Championship enjoyed a breakout year in 2012, attracting some of the biggest names in rally racing from around the world. Domestic stars such as Ken Block, Travis Pastrana and Tanner Foust went head to head with European rally aces including nine-time World Rally Champion Sebastien Loeb and former WRC champ Marcus Gronholm over six events, which were all televised on ESPN networks.
"We are extremely excited to have Sylvania involved with Global Rallycross again this season," said Brian Gale, Global Rallycross President. "We were fortunate to have such a quality brand be a part of the New Hampshire and Las Vegas rounds last year and to see this partnership grow is fantastic. We are hoping for a long-term relationship that can continue to build both brands through the promotion of the Sylvania zXe Cup."
"We are proud to provide a national venue for Global Rallycross races around the country. SMI tracks host four of the five GRC races from coast to coast including here at New Hampshire Motor Speedway," said Jerry Gappens, Executive Vice President and General Manager. "As an extension to our Sylvania sponsorship, we are pleased that Sylvania Automotive is partnering with us for a second year on the Sylvania SilverStar zXe Cup in a program that will also extend to other SMI tracks. This is a proven partnership and this style of extreme racing is what our fans are demanding. We are hopeful to continue this partnership for many years to come."
The schedule's eight races are the most in the short history of the series, with four of the events being contested as part of the X Games competition. The four races that make up the battle for the Sylvania zXe Cup will all take place at Speedway Motorsports Inc. facilities including New Hampshire, Bristol Motor Speedway, Charlotte Motor Speedway and Atlanta Motor Speedway.2013 Sylvania zXe Cup Global Rallycross Championship
July 11 New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Loudon, N.H.
July 20 Bristol Motor Speedway, Bristol, Tenn.
Aug. 11 Atlanta Motor Speedway, Hampton, Ga.
Sept. 22 Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord, N.C.
Subscribe to Racer
- F1: Bottas says steering issue hurt tire life
- F1: Battery glitch hindered Ricciardo
- F1: Rosberg halted by broken wiring loom
- F1: Alonso defends Ferrari's strategy
- BES GT: Vanthoor champion as WRT Audi wins
- Post-race press conference - Singapore
- F1: Magnussen treated for burns after race
- F1: Vettel bemused by Hamilton's pass
- F1: Hamilton's day in Singapore
- Another sprint car tragedy claims racer Scott Semmelmann
- F1: Rosberg reacts to Singapore retirement
- Solberg pips Ekstrom in world rallycross thriller
- RACER: WEC COTA race winner Benoit Treluyer
- RACER: IMSA GTLM and GTD winners at COTA
- WEC: Audi survives rainstorms to clinch 1-2 at Circuit of The Americas
- Nationwide: Big restart gives Brendan Gaughan Nationwide win at Kentucky
- RACER: IMSA Prototype and PC winners at COTA
- NHRA: Schumacher, Hagan take delayed Charlotte wins at Texas
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd up front in Texas qualifying
- Global Rallycross: Speed takes Race 1 in Los Angeles
Video: The Insider Issue
FROM THE RACER CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
Verizon IndyCar Series: News and views from Robin Miller and Marshall Pruett.